Frequently Asked Questions

What About Song Copyright?

Choose a Work For Hire or Apply to Co-Publish

Some artists prefer to own all the copyright to the music we produce, in which case we are happy to send you a Work For Hire Agreement which says you own 100% of both the copyright to the song as well as the master recording.

Any artist who collaborates with our recording studio can apply to co-publish a song with our label, 5050songs Inc. If your song is selected we will create original album artwork to accompany your release, and distribute the song on 90+ music stores, iTunes and more. We will also seek licensing opportunities for your music in tv and film.

What does Demo My Song do exactly?

We help you promote your music by creating professional recordings of your song or lyrics. Market the finished recording as you wish or apply to join our label 5050songs and get everything you need to release your music commercially including song mastering, album artwork, and distribution via iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, and more.

Can I upload a song for a consultation?

You can upload your song materials on our website from our Get Started page. If you would like to ask a question before submitting a new song, say hi@demomysong.com and we will be glad to assist you.

Will Demo My Song buy my song or lyrics?

No, we do not buy songs or lyrics. Our team will help you produce your song or lyric for a one-time fee.

Do I have creative control or input during the process?

Yes, this is a collaborative effort and we want your input. You can decide all the most important details of production like who sings the song or specific instruments in the band. Of course, if you want us to help you decide, that’s what we’re here for!

Can I hear examples of songs Demo My Song has produced?

Yes, listen here. Or check out our current featured artists.

Who keeps the rights to the finished song and recording?

You decide. We offer Co-Publishing Agreements (50/50 copyright split) or Work For Hire Agreements (you get 100% of the rights). When you co-publish your songs we also provide mastering, album artwork, and distribution via iTunes, Amazon, Spotify and more (90+ sites).

Why should I get a recording contract?

A signed recording agreement is necessary to hire us. We offer two agreement options: Work For Hire, you keep all the rights and promote however you wish or Co-Publishing, we split the rights 50/50 and promote the music with you via 5050songs.

Will Demo My Song help with marketing?

Yes. When you co-publish a song with us we will distribute it to iTunes, Spotify, and more. We also seek placement opportunities for your music in tv and film.

When my song sells, how do I get paid?

If opting for a Work For Hire Agreement you would be responsible for marketing the song on your own. In that case we make no claim to future royalties and you can do as you see fit with the music. When co-publishing with our label, 5050songs, we split the revenue with you 50/50. We suggest you join a P.R.O. (performing rights organization) so that you can also collect all your songwriter royalties. There are three P.R.O.’s in the United States: ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC. Please check online for your supporting P.R.O. if you live abroad.

Who is behind Demo My Song?

Demo My Song was founded by music producer and Berklee alum, Trystan Matthews in 2004. Since then, we have grown to offer a select team of talented producers, musicians, and songwriters to collaborate with you online or in person. Meet the staff.

How much does it cost?
How do I pay?

We accept credit cards via paypal or you can mail us a check.

What is your revision/refund policy?

Each revision is a minimum fee of $75. If your request will cost more than that, we will let you know before we begin. You may request a refund for your purchase if we have not begun working on the music. Song projects that are in process or completed are not eligible for a refund.

How long does it take?

Our normal turnaround time is about 2-3 weeks.

What file formats do you accept?

Anything! For music files, we prefer wav, aif, mp3, m4a, or wma. We can also work with Pro Tools and Logic session files. For lyrics and chords charts etc, we prefer .txt, .doc, .docx, .rtf, .jpg, or .pdf.     

Can I record my own vocals on my song?

Yes. We can collaborate remotely or you can visit us in New York City. If you wish to visit our studios in person, please inquire with an estimate of time needed for your session and we can provide you with a quote. When working remotely, we record all the instrumental tracks first, and then we send you a rough mix of your song for you to record your vocals. Then you send us back your vocal tracks (as raw unprocessed wav files) for us to create the final mix.

Will I make a profit on my investment?

Any time a song is released, some make money and some don’t make any at all. It takes time and a concerted effort to build a dedicated fan-base who will pay for your music. Our label, 5050songs, exists to help songwriters monetize their music.